Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

The Crowd Pleaser

Frank McCarthy, the artist who was called upon to render a realistic picture of the crucial training-camp grudge fight for [author Bill] Cox's story, had only the experience of a few informal boyhood fights in Scarsdale, New York, to give him proper background.

"In my teens I was mostly a sailor," he recalls. "I took part in a lot of races and I sketched and painted everything I saw. After studying at the Art Students Legue and Pratt Institute I worked as a messenger boy and apprentice artist and gradually moved up to illustration.

"Then I made a 14,000 mile trip around the country, taking photos and sketching - all the way from New Orleans to California, Lake Louis to Yellowstone, and Montreal to Florida. The pictures and drawinga are invaluable to me now in my work.

"But I guess I owe my career to my grammar school, a progressive place where they taught me to print, not write. Somehow that got me started drawing. Furthermore, we never were made to study, so I had plenty of time."


From Collier's Credits, May 27, 1955

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar